Friday, May 04, 2007

From Gold Coast to Gulf Coast






Thursday was a full day - it began with a visit to the Biscayne National Park, (www.nps.gov/archive/bisc/home.htm) which is located just south of Miami. It was so fun, I even got to use a canoe for a spell, I didn't get charged for using it since I wasn't out for very long. It is a lot harder to row a canoe in that breeze than it looks!!!

After that, I drove to the Everglades National Park (www.nps.gov/ever) which is a truly fascinating place. I visited three of the visitor's centers, starting with the one near Homestead, and saw something unique at each one. There were numerous alligators, racoons, and birds of all sorts. I didn't see any of the elusive Florida panthers, though there were numerous signs posted saying they were in the area.

On the way west from Homestead, I drove along US 41, otherwise known as the Tamiami Trail. This historic road cuts along through the Everglades and is a beautiful stretch of road. I stopped at "Cooperstown," population 8, and took a tour on an air boat! It was so much fun zipping along, seeing 'gators, birds, fish, and more! The guide was really knowledgeable and made for a fun experience. I'd always wanted to do that and now I have!!! I also got to visit the USA's smallest post office, located at Ochopee, FL. This tiny outpost is a lifeline for the isolated people living in this region (www.ronnei.com/ochopee.html).


Making my way west and then north, I encountered a rather severe thunderstorm which made the driving a challenge! But fortune was with me and I was able to make the approach to Tampa Bay just as sunset was beginning. I crossed the famous Sunshine Skyway bridge (www.interstate275florida.com/ssb.htm) as the sun was begining to set which afforded me some awesome views!

I made it to my brother Joe's (and his wife, Jody) in Holiday, FL, located just north of Tampa Bay intact and we got caught up on the news. Friday is golf day for Joe and Me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sweets! Be SURE to use some sun screen when you are out in that HOT Florida sun! Also, get yourself some sandals! Those closed in shoes look so hot on your feet. Love you lots, Your Bel