Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Weeki Wachi & Tarpon Srpings






Today was an opportunity to see some palces I'd not been to in quite awhile, so despite the smoke being blown in from a distant fire, I set out this morning to see if the mermaids still swam in the Weeki Wachee River (www.weekiwachee.com). It turns out they do! It was fun to see the park still operating and though it wasn't quite as grand as I remembered it from 20 years ago, it was fun all the same! I enjoyed the boat ride down the river and seeing manatees in the wild! Way cool!

After that, I was heading south on US 19 when I saw a sign for San Antonio, well, you know I had to go see how it compared to the bigger version in Texas! Trust me, the entire town and most of the county could fit inside the Alamo (no need to book the Dome!).

Next it was back on track to see Tarpon Springs (www.tarponsprings.com)home of the famous Greek sponge divers. I decided not to take the boat trip, but instead wandered the shops and enjoyed the breeze coming in off the Gulf of Mexico. I did get to visit one more time the famous Greek Orthodox cathedral, St. Nicholas (www.epiphanycity.org) in Tarpon Springs, a beautiful place of worship!

Now here I am in old town Dunedin at a Wine shop that has free WiFi! I leave Florida for a long-awaited reunion with Belinda tomorrow night in Ohio, look out Columbus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey uncle c it's kyle. i just wanted to say u wer n the best place in the world.


KYLE HAMMITT